- The integrated circuit was conceived in Britain by Geoffrey W.A. Dummer. The Intel 4004 was developed by Federico Faggin and Ted Hoff of Intel, and Masatoshi Shima of Busicom. It was released November 15, 1971.
- Windows NT was developed between 1989 and 1993 by Dave Cutler et al of DEC.
- The first paper on firewall technology was published by DEC in 1988. Packet filtering was developed by Bill Cheswick and Steve Bellovin of Bell Labs. Third-generation firewalls were developed in 1989-1990 at Bell Labs by Dave Presetto, Janardan Sharma, Kshitij Nigam.
- Cellular technology was invented by Bell Labs. Sweden had the first small cellular network in 1956. The USSR had one in 1958. The first public cellular phone network was in Finland in 1971. The modern cell phone was invented by Motorola in 1973; Martin Cooper made the first call on April 3, 1973.
- Camera-on-a-chip CMOS technology was invented by Eric Fossum of USC. The first camera phone was the J-SH04 made by Sharp and offered by J-Phone in Japan.
- Voice mail was invented by Steven Boies of IBM, and Stan Kugell and Edward McCreight of Xerox PARC around 1975.
- Instant messaging has been in use since the 1960s. ICQ was released by Mirabilis in November 1996. AIM by AOL in May 1997. Yahoo! Messenger was released 6/21/1999, and Windows Live Messenger in July 1999. Skype, developed by Niklas Zennstrom & Janus Friis, was released in 2003.
- The PageRank algorithm used by Google was developed by Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Stanford.
- Drip irrigation is an ancient technique. Modern drip irrigation was developed in Afghanistan in 1866. The use of perforated pipes was introduced in Germany in the 1920s. Porous canvas hose was first used by O.E. Nobey at Michigan State U in 1934.
- Horace-Bénédict de Saussure of Switzerland was the first to build a solar collector in 1767. Frenchman Edmond Becquerei observed photoelectric effect in 1839. In 1891 the first commercial solar water heater was patented by the father of American solar energy, Clarence Kemp. In 1954 Bell Telephone Laboratories produced a 4% efficiency silicon PV cell, and later accomplished 11% efficiency. In 1958, A small satelitte of US Vanguard was powered by a less than one watt power solar cell.
- The Desert Eagle was designed by Bernard C. White of Magnum Research in the US.
- Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, MO is the single largest producer of small arms ammo for the US military.
Friday, February 11, 2011
For the record...
There was a post on
FriendFace ButtFace FaceBook some time ago that contained a bunch of misinformation half-truths lies. To set the record straight: