Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Synchronicity... again...

Several years ago, we made the decision to begin, bit by bit, to prep a bit. We're hardly what you'd call "preppers" but we realized after 9/11 that Alaska is in a pretty precarious spot if anything big were ever to happen. So, we decided that, as our first order of business, we should acquire at least enough MREs to feed the family for a week in an emergency. I did a bit of research and finally settled on ordering a couple cases of Wornick Eversafe MREs from Long Life Food Depot. That was late August of 2005. I placed the order, but not before Hurricane Katrina hit. My order took a couple months to be fulfilled.


In 2008, I decided I wanted to buy an AK-47, because I was still stuck in my carbine phase, but I decided that, for short range engagements, a .30 caliber bullet was preferrable to .22 caliber. I won't get into a debate here, because I don't care any more... I'm not a carbine kind of guy any more anyway. In any event, I was out voting in November 2008, and decided to go ahead and pick one up. Only one gun store in Anchorage had anything I would be willing to own, and it was a Yugoslavian RPK, the SAW version of the AK-47. I got it anyway, but it was 30% more than I intended to spend when I went into town.

The last year or so, I've been thinking that, with the North Koreans developing nuclear missiles and also being certifiably insane, it might be smart to have some Potassium Iodide (KI) on hand, just in case. We finally made the decision to order some Iosat, and the Japanese reactor has everyone frantically buying every KI pill in sight. Not a single online vendor has the things in stock. I wanted a three week supply for my family, which amounts to roughly 8 packages of the stuff. I put in an order with the manufacturer, but was informed:
Notice: As of March 14, 2011, Anbex is out of stock of IOSAT(tm). New product is expected by April 18, 2011.
My timing stinks.

At this point, I'm not overly concerned about radiation from the Jap nuke plant, but I'd like to have some KI on hand just in case something horrific happens. I'm going to check the stores in town, but I suspect the shelves will be bare at Walgreens. Fortunately, my sister-in-law has a thyroid problem, which requires that she take KI on a regular basis. I happen to know that she just received a bottle of the stuff in the mail. Maybe she'll take cash in trade for some of her stash...

1 comment:

  1. Can't win for losing, eh? I understand that one - been there, done that. I was going to buy a new hunting rifle just about the time everything got scarce, myself. After waiting six months longer than I'd intended, I finally went into Favorite Store and asked, "What do you have behind the counter that you've got ammo for, too?"

    And that's how I came to own a Weatherby .270 ... would have preferred something a bit heavier, but like you, it was take what I could find at the time.

    ReplyDelete